Latest News

Latest News

President Mutharika, First Lady donate K100m relief package to returnees from South Africa

The State President Peter Mutharika and the First Lady, through the Beautiful Malawi (BEAM) Trust, have donated food and non-food items worth K100 million to support Malawians who recently returned from South Africa following xenophobic attacks.

The donation was symbolically handed over on Monday at Joyce Chitsulo Stadium in Mwanza District, where hundreds of returnees are being assisted before returning to their respective communities.

Speaking during the handover ceremony, BEAM Trust Chairperson Dingiswayo Jere said the relief package is a message of hope from the First Lady, aimed at helping the returnees rebuild their lives after fleeing violence and leaving behind most of their belongings.

Jere said the trust is targeting about 1,000 returnees with the assistance, which includes food items, blankets, and other necessities, adding that the total value of the intervention is approximately K100 million.

He further appealed to Malawians to welcome the returnees with compassion and help them reintegrate into their communities, noting that many have children who have been displaced after spending years living in South Africa.

“Some of these families have babies and young children who have known South Africa as their home. They now have to start life afresh in Malawi, so they need our support, understanding, and acceptance,” said Jere.

Receiving the donation on behalf of the government, Chief Secretary to the Government Justin Saidi described the donation as timely, saying many of the returnees arrived in Malawi with nothing after fleeing the attacks.

“These people left all their belongings in South Africa. They had no time to collect food, clothing or blankets. Some even slept in bushes while waiting to be rescued by the Malawi Government. This support will help them begin life again when they return home,” said Saidi.

He commended the First Lady and the BEAM Trust for responding to the humanitarian crisis, saying the gesture demonstrates concern for the welfare of vulnerable Malawians.

Saidi revealed that more than 40,000 Malawians have so far returned safely from South Africa, far exceeding the government’s initial estimates, with more expected to arrive.

He said the government has exhausted its initial budget for the evacuation exercise but continues to receive financial and logistical support from development partners, banks and individuals to sustain the operation.

The Chief Secretary also disclosed that the government has been directed by President Peter Mutharika to ensure the returnees are successfully reintegrated into their communities by working with the Ministry of Local Government and other stakeholders.

He said authorities are documenting the skills possessed by the returnees so they can be supported to rebuild their livelihoods in Malawi instead of seeking employment abroad.

Saidi further acknowledged concerns over undocumented migration and the use of illegal routes by some Malawians travelling to South Africa, saying the government is working on measures to regulate labour migration while encouraging citizens to contribute to Malawi’s development.

One of the beneficiaries, Abdullah Braidon from Machinga District, expressed gratitude for the support and urged fellow Malawians planning to travel to South Africa to postpone their journeys until the security situation improves.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

Trending News

Editor's Picks

CSOs welcome mining devolution

Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) that participated in the Malawi National Alternative Mining Indaba have welcomed the Government of Malawi’s decision to commence the devolution of mining functions and responsibilities to Local Government Authorities. The Ministry of Mining announced in a circular dated 10 July 2026 that District Mining Officers will now report to District Commissioners,...

Scorchers’ WAFCON qualification highlights growing role of corporate support

The Malawi Scorchers’ qualification for the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) finals is highlighting the growing role of corporate partnerships in supporting the country’s national teams. This is the focus of the latest edition of TheOMGbrief, a newsletter published by Malawi-based Outreach Media Group, which examines the Scorchers’ WAFCON journey and their partnership...

Escape Ordinary Radio. 96.4MHz & 96.6MHz

Quick Links

Latest News

©2026- All Rights Reserved.